Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cookie Marathon!

The Cookie Marathon has been an off and on part of my Christmas traditions since I was a teenager.

I've been planning today's Cookie Marathon for several days, but unfortunately there have been some interruptions along the way...

1) Hubby didn't take as long Christmas Shopping as I thought he would.
2) I'm missing a few ingredients I thought I had on hand (not a huge deal, I'll just do those recipes tomorrow instead).
3) Joseph was sent home from school because he bumped his face on a shelf. He's got quite the shiner just below his eye and had originally said his vision was a bit blurry. He's currently at the Pediatric Ophthalmologist with Hubby.

A Cookie Marathon always starts with a little prep work. Usually you make sure you have all your ingredients for all the various recipes you want to make before you start.


I missed that one this year.


I have also found it very helpful to have plenty of cookie cooling space available

Yes, that's the Cookie Sheet covering that table. Underneath is the box of cookie tins. I'll be rooting through that box from time to time over the next few days.

I've started today with the Reese's Chewey Chocolate Cookies because they are quick and easy. They also tend to last the longest around our house. They are a favorite of hubby, but he doesn't come close to eating the whole batch. I'll post the recipe for those soon.

I've also made a batch of Turkish Hats, but for some reason I didn't get very many this year, so I'll have to make a second batch.

Here's the list of absolute must-have cookies at our house:
Chocolate Crinkles
Chocolate Chips
Turkish Hats
Reeses's Chewey Chocolate Cookies
Sugar Cookies
Date Nut Pinwheels
Cocoons - I'll have to dig up this recipe; Mom used to make them and my brother has requested them.

On the optional list are:
Chocolate Dingalings
Chocolate Crackers (can you tell we like chocolate at our house?)
Moravian Spice Cookie Wafers (delicious, but time consuming)
Rosenmunnar (Swedish thumbprint cookies)

And on the list of cookies I've never tried but would like to are:
Chocolate Thumbprints
Candy Cane Cookies
Gingerbread Cookies
Spritz cookies - I have several recipes to choose from.
Brown Sugar Cookies

Here's the current state of my back table:


What are your family's favorite cookies?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!!! all that work, but sounds like a GREAT!!! and YUMMY!!! idea.
Geri

Amy Rainey said...

I love cookie days! I am not doing one this year due to the "sugar issue" at my house. I miss this tradition. My favorites are cherry winks and unbaked chocolate oatmeal cookies (I understand in our neck of the woods those are called reindeer poop?) Have fun!

UnfinishedMom said...

Amy, I thought about your dilemma as I was baking yesterday. I'm wondering if we could find some sugar free cookie recipes for you. I'll bet Simply Sugar And Gluten Free has some.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin