Monday, October 12, 2009

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

As part of the baking Day frenzy on Wednesday several people were making Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. Since I had a large can of pumpkin left from last year that I really wanted to use up I decided to use part of it for some of these muffins.  I looked at several other recipes but some of the proportions sounded off to me.  So I took some info from them, lightened up on the spices so as not to offend my children, combined it with the proportions I knew from this Banana Chocolate Chip recipe to come up with my own Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe. Sometimes improvisation works!So here is

Unfinished Mom's Whole Wheat Pumpkin 
Chocolate Chip Muffins



Ingredients (in order of use):
  • 1 ½ Cup Whole Wheat flour
  • 1 Cup Unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp cloves
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 Cup pumpkin puree (I used canned)
  • 1 egg
  • ½ Cup ¾ Cup milk
  • ¼ Cup canola oil
  • ½ Cup sugar
  • ¾ Cup chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. In a medium size bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices.
  3. In small bowl whisk pumpkin puree, egg, milk, oil and sugar together.
  4. Combine dry and wet ingredients.
  5. Fold in chocolate chips
  6. Grease muffin tins. Fill tins 2/3 full (~1/4 cup each).
  7. Place muffin tin in oven. Raise oven temperature to 400°. (Here's why.) Bake ~20 17 minutes.
  8. Turn out of tins immediately onto clean dishtowel. **SEE NOTE BELOW!
Notes:
Makes 12 muffins.
These freeze well.
For the future I think I'll only use 1 Cup Whole Wheat flour; this batch was a tad on the dry side and I'm hoping to get a smoother top as well. (see update below!)
** Use an clean old dishtowel. These muffins will leave orange circles on your dishtowel.

The general muffin recipe found in the Tightwad Gazette is very helpful in creating your own muffin recipe, like this one.

Have a suggestion for making these a bit more moist and smoother on the top?

Updated 12/7/09: I've played around with how to make this a moister muffin and settled on these revisions: same amount of flour, but more milk and less baking time. I updated the ingredients list above to to match these revisions.


You can find more great recipes at: 
Cupcake Tuesday @ Hoosier Homemade

Tempt My Tummy @ Blessed With Grace
Tasty Tuesday @ Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Tuesdays at the Table @ All the Small Stuff

10 comments:

Wendy said...

I am going to save this recipe and try it. I think that my girls would like it. I am not sure how to make them more moist, I just started making muffins (from scratch) and it is trial and error.

Kara said...

This looks quite similar to my pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe! The only tip I can offer is to make sure not to overmix. Mix JUST enough to blend the ingredients. This makes a moister, more tender muffin. Here's mine: http://homewithpurpose.blogspot.com/2009/09/fall-festival-favorite-fall.html

Brenda said...

Everybody is posting these recipes and they look so good!

Kim said...

Loving these - I will be sure to try!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Unknown said...

Pumpkin and chocolate chips sounds YUMMY!!! together. THANKS!!! Geri

Susie said...

Those look so scrumptous!!

SnoWhite said...

Looks great, despite being dry. I've found that if you substitute applesauce for the oil, you can use all the whole wheat because the applesauce makes them extra moist :) That's what we do around here.

Cole said...

Those look great!!

Unknown said...

Those sound great and they look beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

Frugal Tumbleweed Acres said...

These sound so good. Will get Pumpkin puree at the store when I go next. Thank you for sharing this.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin