Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Making Muffins Rise

I have a great tip today for making muffins. I bake a lot of muffins at my house - about once a week and this tip always works! Are you ready? --


When baking muffins, preheat your oven to 375°, then when you put the muffins in the oven, raise the temperature to 400° for the baking time.

Here's the reason for this: when you preheat your oven, it will get a little bit hotter than the temperature you set it for, but then it will drop down below that temperature before the oven kicks in again. When you bake muffins you want the heat to really kick into with baking powder quickly so they will rise properly. By resetting the oven to 400° when you put them into the oven you get more rise.

I must give credit where credit is due, so, many thanks to Alton Brown's muffin episode for this tip. I bake a batch of muffins about once every two weeks, so I use this tip often. (I confess, watching Food Network is one of the things I miss not having cable. I learned a lot from Alton.)

For more great tips visit Works For Me Wednesday @ We are THAT Family.
 This tip was originally posted on May26,2009.

5 comments:

steadymom said...

Never thought of this - thanks for the tip!

Jamie

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

Perfect! I was mad at my muffins the other day for not rising much--who knew it was my bad? :)

I love me some Alton Brown, too. He was the only good thing about satellite--but we couldn't justify it any longer. :(

Amy @ Finer Things said...

What a great tip! Wish I'd have known that a few hours earlier; would have tried it on my last batch of muffins. :)

Susan said...

Thank you! I'm bookmarking this for use when 4-H season comes around :)

Amy Rainey said...

Thanks for this...I love Alton, too! I watched his biscuit show last week and turned out my best biscuits ever :) I had no idea that ovens operated this way!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin