Monday, September 28, 2009

Kalua Pig

Several years ago, before I was married, I attended a Bible Study at the home of a wonderful lady who was also a wonderful cook. She introduced me to foods I had never heard of, and helped this picky eater become a little less picky. Having lived in Hawaii for several years, she had a short-run tradition of having a luau at her home every summer and this dish was always on the menu. It is basically an Asian-style pulled-pork. Every time I ate it I wanted more. Finally after several years, I begged her for the recipe.

Kalua Pig
(printable recipe)


Ingredients:
  • 1 5 lb pork shoulder or pork butt*
  • 3 Tbsp. Hawaiian or Kosher salt
  • ¼ Cup soy sauce
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 crushed garlic clove
  • 1 2" piece crushed ginger
  • Liquid Smoke

Directions:
  1. Mix together salt, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and ginger.**
  2. Put pork roast in pan and rub mixture into pork.
  3. Sprinkle Roast with liquid smoke
  4. Tightly cover pan with foil.
  5. Roast ~5 hours at 300° or until pork reaches at least 170°.
  6. Serve over sticky rice.
Notes:
* Pork loin does not work well for this recipe (I've tried). It is too lean and dense and the marinade cannot penetrate the meat.
** You can easily adjust the ingredients of the marinade up for larger roasts.
After roasting, let it rest in it's juices for a while. Then, pull it apart, discarding the fat and bones. Place the pulled meat in a serving bowl or on "warm" in Crock-pot.
There should be a good bit of juice. Save the juice; serve it in a small pitcher with the meat, it's delicious.
This feeds a crowd. I only make it for large groups.

You can find more great recipes at:
Tempt My Tummy @ Blessed With Grace
Tasty Tuesday @ Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Tuesdays at the Table @ All the Small Stuff

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This really sounds good. Come join me for Crock Pot Wednesday. I would love to see your favorite slow cooker recipes posted there. Thanks. Debbie

kristi_temple said...

I will have to get a pork butt just to try this. It sounds delightful. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Sound yummy!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Yum! Makes me want to return to Kauai!!!! Aloha. Happy TMTT.

Unknown said...

Sounds wonderful, I will have to try this recipe.

I have become a follower of your blog. I really like the name unfinished mom. My kids are all grown up and I still feel like an unfinished mom with 3 grand-daughters. Come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same.

THANKS!!! Geri

Cole said...

I love pulled pork, so I definitely need to try your recipe!

Thanks for sharing!

Alison said...

Pork butt is going on my shopping list! Thanks for the recipe and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment at my blog!

JessieLeigh said...

I've never tried making pulled pork before, but I certainly enjoy eating it! Thanks for giving me a recipe to try.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin