Friday, April 10, 2009

Frugal Easter Question


I have a frugal question for all those in the frugal blogosphere:

Have you ever tried freezing Easter candy? Did it work? How long did it keep?

I usually buy my candy for the kids' Easter baskets early enough that I can fill the eggs and donate the extra to the Egg Hunt. But I just didn't get it done this year.

So, now I have a good bit of extra chocolate candy and I'm wondering... could I freeze it?

What do you all think?

For frugal ideas that are actually, ahem, helpful visit Life as Mom.

3 comments:

Sheila said...

We have candy in the freezer from Halloween, and it still tastes just fine. :)

Suz said...

I think you can probably freeze most of it... although chocolate tends to get a white film on it when it's been frozen and thawed. Shouldn't affect the taste, but the kids might look at it twice before they eat it.

The Prudent Homemaker said...

I know someone who has three extra freezers--and one is just for chocolate!

She buys candy at 90% off at drug stores after the holidays. She shares often :) It tastes just fine!

Also, because her candy was still a little frozen, when we used it for an Easter egg hunt on a VERY warm day (in the 80s last year) the chocolate was not melted when the children sat down to eat it; it was just perfect! It kept a lot of children clean! (had it not been so cold, they would have been opening melted chocolate that day).

One thing I have done is to buy the egg dying kits on clearance. I have only bought them twice in my marriage, and they were both before and right after our first Easter! They were marked down to $.25 at the grocery store. We bought enough for several years worth!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin