Monday, April 13, 2009

Loving God Is Like Baking A Cake?

As my few regular readers (I love you guys!) will already know, I have been struggling over the last several months about what it means to love God with all your heart, soul, and mind.

I think, maybe, God has given me some of the answer.

In Matthew 22: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind."

As I have contemplated, prayed, and thought about these verses God has led me to this understanding: These commands to love God with all your heart soul and mind really cannot and should not be separated out into their parts, as I had been trying to do. They are a whole. They are a command to love God, simply, with all of who you are. Nothing more. And certainly nothing less. They are interwoven into something greater than their parts.

It's a bit like baking a cake: the flour, sugar, eggs, etc. are not nearly as tasty individually as they are when baked together into a new whole. Then, they become something wonderful. And in us, when we, -- when I -- when our hearts, soul ,and mind, combine to love God, it becomes something wonderful and miraculous. It isn't always an overwhelming emotion like when you fell in love, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. But it is still wonderful and miraculous.

So, the next step for me is to stop trying to taste the individual ingredients. Instead, I need to put my heart, soul and mind together and let God bake them.

Hmmm. Not sure how this would go over with a theology professor, but it's where God has taken me at this point. Loving God is Like Baking a Cake -- the whole is much better than the ingredients!

1 comment:

The Hall Family said...

I think that's a great way to look at it. God wants our all, especially concerning our love.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin