Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Shake 'N Bake Chicken Nuggets - from scratch!

Today I'm posting my recipe for a homemade "Shake 'N Bake" chicken coating. It was inspired by a recipe found in "The Tightwad Gazette" but, I have changed it sufficiently, that I feel I can claim it as my own.

Shake 'N Bake Chicken Nuggets


 Ingredients:
  • 1 cup homemade bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup unbleached flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 T paprika
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 2 T vegetable oil
Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients well.
  2. Store indefinitely in a covered container in the refrigerator.
  3. Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite size pieces.
  4. Put about 1/2 cup of coating mixture into ziploc bag.
  5. Add 5-6 pieces of chicken and shake to coat. Place coated pieces on baking sheet.
  6. Repeat step 5 until all chicken pieces are covered, adding more coating as needed.
  7. Bake at 400 degrees for approx 15 minutes.
  8. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
Notes:
My kids love this recipe. It is our family's favorite for chicken nuggets. I've never used this for coating whole pieces of chicken, but I believe it would work the same as Shake 'N Bake.

For more Kitchen Tips go to Tammy's Recipes. And for more great recipes visit Tempt My Tummy.

This recipe was originally published on my old blog, September 16, 2008.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

I love the homemade recipes that immitate mixes (which immitate homemade) :)

Kaycee said...

Those look good, I would be the coolest mom EVER if I made those for my kids.

Mom2fur said...

Thanks! We love boneless chicken here, and it will be fun to have some homemade 'shake and bake' on hand.

Anonymous said...

yum, yum, YUM!
thank you:)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Love it!!I have to be honest. I will probably cheat. I have some store bought bread crumbs, in the house! Thanks for participating, this week, in TMTT.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I love chicken nuggets. These sound delicious!

Greg and Donna said...

This recipe looks great and so easy. Thanks for posting it. Its on the menu for next week.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin