Monday, March 16, 2009

"Best" Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is the recipe for the cookies my daughter and I made here. They're really wonderful cookies (though they don't look as good in this picture as they taste - I'll explain later.) I don't remember where I got this recipe. I think it was from Jan at a PW site I sometimes visit.

"Best" Chocolate Chip Cookies




Ingredients:
  • 3 Cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/2 Cup shortening
  • 1 1/3 Cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 T vanilla
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 Cup rolled oats
  • 24 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 Cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:
  1. In medium bowl, stir together, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
  2. Cream together butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy.
  3. Add eggs one at a time, beating in between each addition.
  4. Beat in vanilla and lemon juice.
  5. Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture, blending thoroughly.
  6. Stir in oats. Blend well.
  7. Add chocolate chips and (optional) nuts.
  8. Use 1/4 Cup of dough per cookie.*
  9. Drop onto greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart and bake at 325° for 17-19 minutes or until brown around edges.
Yields: 3 dozen extra huge cookies

Notes:
* The recipe calls for making them huge. I make them large, but not 1/4 Cup. I use the large cookie scoop from Pampered Chef (sorry, I don't know what the size is.) For me it makes about 6 dozen cookies and I only cook them about 12 minutes. This dough freezes very well, which is what I usually do.

In the picture above I had one of my typical cookie problems -- either I didn't let the butter soften enough or I over creamed. So, the cookies came out kind of flat. Some people really like them this way. Me, not so much. But, they still taste wonderful and my family devours them.

The person who gave me the recipe commented that she sometimes cuts down on the butter and chocolate chips.

The recipe called them the "Best" chocolate chip cookies, not me. Personally, I think they're really good chocolate chip cookies, but I wouldn't call them the "Best". Just my humble opinion.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin