- Everything collects dust after 30 or 40 years.
- Do NOT toss things out of a 30 year old attic – see #1.
- Cardboard boxes disintegrate after 30 or 40 years.
- Plastic garbage bags disintegrate after 15-20 years.
- If you place different parts of something in different places – label where the other parts are. (Yeah. There’s a story behind that one.)
- If it was tied together when it went up there, it might not be together anymore -- see #2 and #3.
- Label the stuff you put up there, for goodness sake! (If you are the only member of your family who knows why it went up there; don’t expect them to read your mind after you’re dead.)
- Some things are trash. Do not put them in the attic.
- The contents of any given box may not be the same as the graphics on the box indicate.
- Wigs, hats and hairpieces that looked good 30 years ago, but that have been squashed under more boxes, don’t look good anymore.
- Some stuffed animals will change color after 20 or 30 years.
- It is not necessary to keep every piece of paper your children touched with a paintbrush.
- Different people will always have different ideas of what is trash -- and what is not.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
As I mentioned earlier in the week, my siblings and I spent most of last week cleaning out the barn and attic at my father’s house. Along the way there are some things we have learned: