Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bulk Cooking: Turkey Stock, Breakfasts & More

The last several days Fishmama & Money Saving Mom have been hosting a Freezer Cooking party. I didn't post my plans for this month's Freezer Cooking, because I was afraid that with trying to catch up on Reading the Bible in 90 Days I wouldn't get it done.

But, I had noticed a few problems in my pantry:
  • a serious lack of quick & easy breakfast foods (I am sooo not a morning person - gotta do this ahead or its cold cereal & Pop-tarts for sure) 
  • I had bought several pounds of meat that needed to be used quickly
  • the turkey carcass in my freezer was taking up way too much space
  • and a special request from my hubby for his favorite granola bars
So over the course of a few days I developed a plan for what I would make:

Turkey Stock
Shredded Beef
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Spaghetti Sauce
Ground beef - cooked for future use
Waffles x2
Hot Chocolate Mix
Oatmeal Packs
Pancake Mix x4
Zucchini Muffins
Granola Bars
Cookies - maybe

I didn't get it all done today but was quite pleased with what did get accomplished - including some catch up on my Bible in 90 Days and some extra time with Hubby on his day off.



Here are my totals for the day:
  • 6 ½ pints Turkey stock
  • 2 lbs shredded beef fillinng - if you've never tried this recipe, do it this week. This recipe will change your life taste buds! Food Lion has chuck roast on sale $1.89/lb this week.
  • 3 meals of spaghetti sauce with italian sausage ready to use
  • 4 containers (2 cups each) of mashed sweet potatoes
  • 4 bags of waffles (probably 5 meals worth)
  • 12 Oatmeal packs (3 meals worth)
  • 4 bags of dry pancake mix

We had some of the shredded beef for dinner - it's so good we had to force ourselves not to eat it all in one sitting! The oatmeal packs are great for mornings when everyone wakes up at different times. They are also versatile - additions like fruit, nuts or peanut butter can be added according to individual tastes.  The turkey stock is in the fridge letting the fat rise. Tomorrow morning I'll skim it, separate it into 2 Cup portions and freeze it.


I'm also planning to finish up the remainder of the list tomorrow:
  • Cook the ground beef
  • Peanut Butter Granola Bars
  • Zucchini Muffins
  • Hot Chocolate Mix - It's snowing here (again!) and we are completely out of mix so, I'm thinking this will be high on the priority list.

What are your favorite things to cook in bulk?

You can see what more people cooked on their Freezer Cooking Day at Money Saving Mom.

2 comments:

Saving By the Cartful said...

So funny, we made beef, and ate some for dinner that night too! So delicious! I think I'll be trying your recipe for granola bars! Thanks for sharing!

Amy Rainey said...

I just bookmarked the beef recipe...definitely gonna be trying that. Assuming, of course that I am able to get to the store this week with all this snow! :) Way to fill the freezer!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin