But, I had noticed a few problems in my pantry:
- a serious lack of quick & easy breakfast foods (I am sooo not a morning person - gotta do this ahead or its cold cereal & Pop-tarts for sure)
- I had bought several pounds of meat that needed to be used quickly
- the turkey carcass in my freezer was taking up way too much space
- and a special request from my hubby for his favorite granola bars
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Ground beef - cooked for future use
Hot Chocolate Mix
Pancake Mix x4
Cookies - maybe
I didn't get it all done today but was quite pleased with what did get accomplished - including some catch up on my Bible in 90 Days and some extra time with Hubby on his day off.
Here are my totals for the day:
- 6 ½ pints Turkey stock
- 2 lbs shredded beef fillinng - if you've never tried this recipe, do it this week. This recipe will change your
lifetaste buds! Food Lion has chuck roast on sale $1.89/lb this week.
- 3 meals of spaghetti sauce with italian sausage ready to use
- 4 containers (2 cups each) of mashed sweet potatoes
- 4 bags of waffles (probably 5 meals worth)
- 12 Oatmeal packs (3 meals worth)
- 4 bags of dry pancake mix
We had some of the shredded beef for dinner - it's so good we had to force ourselves not to eat it all in one sitting! The oatmeal packs are great for mornings when everyone wakes up at different times. They are also versatile - additions like fruit, nuts or peanut butter can be added according to individual tastes. The turkey stock is in the fridge letting the fat rise. Tomorrow morning I'll skim it, separate it into 2 Cup portions and freeze it.
I'm also planning to finish up the remainder of the list tomorrow:
- Cook the ground beef
- Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- Zucchini Muffins
- Hot Chocolate Mix - It's snowing here (again!) and we are completely out of mix so, I'm thinking this will be high on the priority list.
What are your favorite things to cook in bulk?
You can see what more people cooked on their Freezer Cooking Day at Money Saving Mom.