Thus, began our journey toward more healthy breakfasts and muffins became one of our standards. I now have several different muffin recipes (all variations on a theme) that can be whipped up in little time and without much thought. I usually make them while I'm in the kitchen doing something else or when my daughter is in the mood to help me cook - she loves to help measure and stir; cracking the eggs - not so much :) This week it was banana muffins because I needed to use some bananas before they went bad.
Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ Cup chopped nuts (optional)
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 Cup banana (~2 whole bananas), mashed
1. Whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nuts if preferred.
2. In small bowl, mix together, milk, sugar, canola oil, egg and banana.
3. Preheat oven to 375°. (Here's why.)
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and combine. Batter should be lumpy, but completely wet. If it is too dry, add a small amount of milk.
4. Grease muffin tin.
5. Fill muffin tin 2/3 full (~1/4 cup of batter).
6. Bake at 400° for 17-18 minutes.
7. Turn out onto clean kitchen towel to cool.
This recipe makes 12 muffins
I usually find that ¾ cup of milk is enough, but this last time I had to add a bit more.
These are really delicious with apple butter or pumpkin butter!
What's your favorite topping for muffins?
For more great cupcake & muffin recipes visit Cupcake Tuesday @ Hoosier Homemade
For more great recipes visit,
Tempt My Tummy @ Blessed With Grace
Tasty Tuesday @ Balancing Beauty with Bedlam
Tuesdays at the Table @ All the Small Stuff