Friday, November 13, 2009

Can We Go Home Now?

I have a confession.

I've been in a bit of a funk recently. Sometimes I don't do well with the interruptions life God throws at me. This week I was feeling overwhelmed. After news of a death in the family early last week I knew I would be out of town for several days. I had to quickly pull together meals my husband the non-cook could cook, and get the laundry done so that they weren't wearing summer shorts during the chilly Maryland autumn. That went reasonably well, though very rushed (not a big fan of rushing here).  Then, I came home Saturday evening to a sick child and a bunch of new tasks to get a backlog of projects completed early in the week.All this combined to me feeling kind of sorry for myself.

Then, as I was browsing some other blogs today I read something about staying home, "that's where the kids want to be anyway" and God brought me this memory...

Wednesday evening, I'd taken the kids to Kids' Choir. At the end of rehearsal as I was catching up with friends and we were gathering kids, my daughter said, "Mommy, can we go home now?"

I didn't think much about it at the time. But, today realized something. It didn't matter to her that the laundry was piled up or we didn't have her favorites for dinner. It didn't matter that there was clutter on the tables and furniture wasn't dusted. She wanted to go home.


Home.  That's where she wanted to be. Our home. Not to the store, or a playground, or a friend's house.


She wanted to go home. Having a home where even with all its flaws my children feel safe and loved and want to be is definitely a finer thing.

3 comments:

Mikki said...

Aww. What a precious post. I've been in and out funks many of times. I pray you will be finding His joy again soon..

And what a precious revelation about your home!!

Joshlin said...

You couldn't have said it better. My son loves to be home and reminds me of that often. Now I will think of it this way.

Amy @ Finer Things said...

So, so true! And the more you are home, the more they will VALUE home.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin