Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Kids' Picks - September

This will be a short post. We've been reading and re-reading a lot of old favorites this month and with both of my kids in full-day school we're not going to the library quite so often, yet. We've spent the last few weeks establishing and getting into the new routines of a new school year.

Family Favorites:


Mr. Skinny by Roger Hargreaves. This is part of the Mr. Men and Little Miss series. My son discovered this series 2 years ago, in kinderagarten. We find them to be funny and enjoyable all the way around. Joseph borrowed this book from the school library (again) this week and while I was reading it, his sister crawled up into my lap too, so she could hear too!

"Mr. Skinny was extraordinarily thin." When he turns sideways he's almost too thin to see and because he lives in a place called Fatland his problem is worse. His problem is that he has no appetite. Each day he eats only one cornflake, one baked bean and the worl'd smalles sausage. So, he geos to the doctor, Doctor Plump. Doctor Plump is able to help Mr. Skinny with his problem in a very unique way and by the end of the book Mr. Skinny has what he's always wanted - a tummy!

I love the unique, natural way that this series of books teaches opposites. My kids enjoy the exaggerated characteristics and funny situations they create. 

You can find these books at your local library or under, "I Recommend" in my sidebar.

For more of our book recommendations for kids go here.

For more children's book recommendations visit 5 Minutes for Books.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

YEEEAAAH! LOVE the Mr. Men and Little Miss series. Fantastic FUN series.

Thanks for sharing your fav.

morninglight mama said...

You know, I don't know much about this series, but I do like the illustrations! :) I should look for them at the library this week!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

That series of books was good. Here is mine

Unknown said...

We read our first Mr. ___ book when we visited my mother-in-law this summer (it was one of the original books from when my husband was a kid!). I think that it was Mr. Quiet. I enjoyed it, and do need to remember to check a few more of them out.

Jessica said...

My kids love to read! Sounds like yours do too!

By the way I think this is my first visit to your blog, I am looking for followers at any (or even all) of my blogs so feel free to go on over and say hello and follow my blog(s) and I'll be sure to return the favor!

My family blog: http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com (followers link is on the bottom)

My custom design blog (I am currently offering FREE designs for blogs): http://sostylilized.blogspot.com (followers link is on the side)

My photography blog: http://www.jessicaslilmoments.com (followers link is on the side)

Have a blessed rest of the week! :)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I loved these books as I child and my son is really enjoying them know as well. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin