Thursday, July 23, 2009

Broccoli Salad

FishMama is hosting a Salad round up today. I confess. I'm not big on salads. I'm not sure what it is. It may be a leftover from my childhood when I believed it was world-ending-awful if different kinds of food touched each other. On the other hand it may be my anti-mayonnaise thing. As a result, this round-up is a bit of a challenge for me.

It took me a while to figure out what to post. I'm posting a recipe you probably already have. I sort of have a hard time believing anyone doesn't already have this recipe. I've seen so many variations of it over the years.

Anyway, just in case you're one of the few who hasn't tried this recipe, this is one of my family's favorite recipes. It makes enough for a small army, unless your family is a small army, then it makes enough for a family.

Broccoli Salad
Ingredients for Dressing:
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar
  • ½ Cup sugar
  • 1 Cup mayonaise

Ingredients for Salad:
  • 8 slices bacon
  • 4 large stalks broccoli (cut into small flowerets; ~8 cups)
  • 1 Cup raisins
  • ¾ Cup pecans, chopped
  • ¼ Cup onion chopped
Directions:
  1. Cook and crumble bacon; reserve until 1 hour before serving.
  2. Combine ingredients for dressing and set aside.
  3. Prepare salad ingredients. Add to large bowl.
  4. Pour dressing over salad. Toss. Cover. Refrigerate.
  5. One hour before serving, add bacon and toss salad. Return to refrigerator.
Notes:
Don't add the bacon too soon, it tends to become soggy in the refrigerator instead of staying crisp.
I've seen many variations of this salad. My sister makes it with less raisins and more onions. She also adds shredded cheese.
That's one of the nice things about this salad. You can alter it to fit your family's tastes.


For more great salad recipes visit the Ultimate Recipe Swap at LifeAsMom.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

My daughter loves broccoli (I know...odd for a kid!) so thanks for sharing this.

Elizabeth
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

Unknown said...

My grand-daughter love broccoli, we call them trees. I'll need to make this recipe for the family. THANKS - Geri

Amanda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I always save the broccoli stalk with the intention of making broccoli slaw and never get around to it. I have now bookmarked this page, so hopefully that will help.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin