Tuesday, June 30, 2009

How to Steam Frozen Corn

... Or How to Kill a Pot

I recently decided to try something new ... cooking corn by steaming it in the microwave. I'd never tried this method before, but I figured it had to be more energy efficient and wouldn't heat up the kitchen on a hot day.

Here's my tip .. How to steam frozen corn in the microwave:

Place desired amount of frozen corn in your chosen microwave-safe dish with the amount of water directed on the package.

Cover bowl.

I didn't have a lid for the bowl I chose. I needed a lid. What could I use for a lid? "Oh, I think the lid from this pot will work - they're about the same size." Try it out. It fits perfectly.

Place bowl and lid into microwave.

Set microwave on high for 5-7 minutes.

Continue with fixing the rest of dinner.

5 minutes later, wonder where that awful smell is coming from.

Enter Hubby... "What's that weird smell?" **Ding** - Microwave is done.

Pull dish out of microwave. "Eww. The smell is worse."

"Oh. Maybe using a metal lid in the microwave wasn't such a good idea!"
The handle of the metal lid popped - like a piece of popcorn. It's really funny looking. (If I ever get my computer to read my camera I'll post a picture of it.)

Hmmm. How am I going to find a replacement lid for a pot I bought 6 years ago?

On the other hand, maybe I don't need to replace it. Maybe I need to keep it just to remind myself how dumb I can be sometimes!

My Notes:
The corn tasted fine. I added a small bit of salt and butter.
Seriously. Steaming veggies in the microwave is probably more energy efficient; especially in the summer. But, please don't use a metal lid to cover the bowl. Plastic wrap should work just fine!

For more kitchen tips that are, you know, helpful! visit Tammy's Recipes.

1 comment:

Sharinskishe said...

Thanks for making me laugh! I have NEVER done this myself!! LOL..... Luckily for me I caught it in time to save my lid. Sorry about yours.

Steaming veggies in the Microwave is easy and so nice for the summer. Thanks for reminding me to do this, and do it the right way too.

Thanks for sharing!

Sharinskishe

http://practically-perfect-life.blogspot.com/2009/07/kitchen-tips-fun-and-practical.html

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin