Whole Wheat Pineapple Muffins
- 1 Cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
- 1 C all-purpose unbleached flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 C pineapple juice, reserved from draining pineapple
- 3/4 C milk
- 1/4 C canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- Drain pineapple, reserve 1/4 cup juice.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium size bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, spices.
- In small bowl whisk milk, oil, egg, brown sugar and pineapple juice together.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients.
- Fold in drained pineapple
- Grease muffin tins. Fill tins 2/3 full (~1/4 cup each).
- Place muffin tin in oven. Raise oven temperature to 400°. (Here's why.) Bake 20 minutes.
- Turn out of tins immediately onto clean dishtowel. Cool upside down.
Makes 12 muffins.
These freeze well.
I think these could be really good with coconut added, but hubby doesn't like coconut so I've never made them that way.
The general muffin recipe found in the Tightwad Gazette is very helpful in creating your own muffin recipe, like this one.
Find more great recipes at:
Tasty Tuesday @BalancingBeautyandBedlam
Tempt My Tummy @ BlessedwithGrace.