Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Whole Wheat Peach Muffins

This recipe took me a while to figure out. I tried two different recipes, made several bad attempts and several bad revisions before finally getting it right with this recipe. My husband and I love them. (I know it's a bit early for peaches in my neck of the woods, but I thought some of the southern gals might like these.)

Whole Wheat Peach Muffins


Ingredients
  • 1½ cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup milk
  • ¼ cup canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • ½ cup + 2 Tblsp sugar
  • 1½ cup peeled, pitted, chopped peaches (3-4 med.)

Directions:
  1. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix with large whisk.
  2. In small bowl mix milk, oil, egg and sugar.
  3. Mix together dry and wet ingredients. Do not stir too much; batter should be lumpy.
  4. Fold 1¼ cup peaches into batter, reserving ¼ cup for tops.
  5. Heat oven to 375°. Grease muffin tin very well.
  6. Fill muffin cups approx. 2/3 full (about 1/3 cup)
  7. Sprinkle reserved peaches over tops.
  8. Place in oven. Raise temperature to 400°. (see why here) Bake approx. 20 minutes.
  9. Cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto dishcloth. Keep inverted while cooling.
My Notes:
This recipe makes 12 muffins.
Be sure to grease the tin VERY WELL as they have a tendency to stick.


For more great summer recipes visit Works for Me Wednesday at WeAreTHATFamily.

4 comments:

In Everything said...

Sounds great... I'll be changing a bit to fit my food allergy home (milk and eggs) but muffins are a little more forgiving than other treats:)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Thanks....peaches are almost ready here and I will be using this. :)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh, forgot to add, thanks for linking to Tasty Tuesday. I'd love it if you link back in the future so everyone can join in on the fun. ;)

Mom Starting From Scratch said...

Thank you so much for this great recipe! I had some peaches that were starting to get a little overripe, so this was the perfect use for them. I switched to using whole wheat only for baking about a year ago, so I'm always thrilled to find "proven" recipes.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin