Thursday, April 2, 2009

April Grocery Challenge - $40/week

We've set ourselves a challenge for the month of April: $40/week on groceries.

Last weekend I took a good look around at our stockpiled groceries. We have lots of meats stockpiled in our freezer, all bought on good sales. We have lots of breakfast stuff stockpiled from recent cereal coupon/sale matchups. And in general we're just well stocked on most other stuff we use on a regular basis.

So, I decided this was a good time to set myself a challenge. So, here it is: We're going to limit our grocery budget to $40/week for the month of April. My plan is to use that $40 predominately on perishables - produce and dairy most likely. And, of course, that will also include any eating out that happens as well - that's the piece that will be harder for my family! (just a side note-- the picture is from a grocery trip last summer; not recently).

While for some, like Crystal Paine @ MoneySaivngMom, this may not be a big deal. For us this is huge. I used to spend at least $120/week on groceries and since starting to seriously clip coupons and watch sales about 18 months ago, I've gotten down to spending about $80/week. So, to go for $40 is a gigantic challenge. And we do'not live in Kroger-land where free toilet paper is an option. The closest Aldi is a 25 minute drive. And in general, I find that prices in the Mid-Atlantic are a bit higher than many other parts of the country.

We do, however, have CVS, Walgreens and Rite-Aid within 2 miles of home. We also have 4 grocery stores within 2 miles of home -- Food Lion, Shoppers, Safeway and Martin's. Right now, they're all doing a pretty good war on who has the best coupoon policy. Three of those stores have some form of double coupons. And two of them have been sending store coupons to their loyalty customers.

So, this seems like a good time for this challenge. Using what we already have on hand will be my primary strategy. I will still clip coupons. But I will have to really concentrate on getting those coupons clipped and filed by Monday so that I can hit the drug stores early in the week. The really good deals tend to be gone by Wednesday in my neighborhood. I'll also have to increase my price comparisons, coupon matching and menu planning for this challenge to work.

I'll be sure to update our progress each week. Come follow along. Keep me accountable!

For more great tips on living frugally visit, Frugal Friday @ LifeAsMom

5 comments:

Sonshine said...

Sounds like a good plan! I don't do drugstore shopping any more because I was wearing myself ragged by trying to get ALL of the deals. So I just stick to the local grocery stores for 95% of my shopping and Aldis or Save A Lot for the other 5%. None of the local grocery stores do double coupons ever or send coupons to loyal customers, so I just rely on internet printable and Sunday paper coupons.

I am doing a pantry & freezer spring cleaning event during the month of April. You can read about it here and here.

Enjoy your weekend!

Hoosier Homemade said...

That is a really good plan! I don't do too bad on my dinner budget, it's all the snacks and drinks that get us.
Thanks for sharing!
~Liz

The Prudent Homemaker said...

There will be some good sales for Easter--eggs, ham, turkey, and potatoes. Watch for these to go on sale this month.

houstonmom said...

Good for you!

Stephanie said...

I look forward to watching you keep your goal this month! This would be tough for me. We are at 125/week and it is a struggle not to go over, even though I have cut my budget in half over the years! So I am still saving a lot! Blessings on your new venture!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin